Modern Woodmen of America is a member-owned fraternal financial services organization. We secure futures with financial guidance and products. We touch lives with fraternalism. Since 1883, Modern Woodmen has brought people together, supported families and strengthened communities nationwide.
- Modern Woodmen was founded by Joseph Cullen Root in 1883 in Lyons, Iowa.
- Our home office is located in Rock Island, Ill.
- As a fraternal benefit society, we are not-for-profit, have a representative form of government and have a system of local chapters.
- Serving nearly 770,000 members, Modern Woodmen is the nation’s third largest fraternal benefit society.
- Approximately 500 people are employed at the Rock Island home office. Modern Woodmen has regional offices in 47 states, and has more than 1,600 financial representatives.
- Modern Woodmen has $37 billion of life insurance in force.
- Modern Woodmen has $14 billion in assets.
- Modern Woodmen has an A+ (Superior) rating from A.M. Best, an independent insurance industry rating agency. A+ (Superior) is the second highest of 15 ratings.
Products and Subsidiaries
- Modern Woodmen’s main product lines are life insurance, annuity and investment* products designed for the family market.
- Established in 2001, MWA Financial Services Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Modern Woodmen that functions as a full-service broker dealer and distributes securities products.
- Modern Woodmen Bank opened for business in 2003, and provides a complete array of personal banking products and services.
- Through fraternal programs, benefits and activities, Modern Woodmen put more than $19 million into members' local communities in 2014.
- Approximately 3,000 local chapters nationwide offer social, educational and volunteer service opportunities.
- Nearly 800 youth service clubs nationwide provide members from age toddler to teen opportunities to volunteer, learn and have fun.
See our impact by state
*Stats effective as of Dec. 31, 2014