Modern Woodmen continues that mission today, as a unique financial services organization. We are a fraternal benefit society, created to protect our members’ financial security and to give back to their communities in order to improve their quality of life. This means:
- Instead of stockholders, we have over 700,000 members who live and work in big and small hometowns throughout the U.S.
- Our financial representatives offer guidance and products that help people create financial security and independence.
- Our fraternal leaders help us give back and bring members together through social and volunteer gatherings and youth service clubs that make a positive impact in their local communities.
Modern Woodmen is a general fraternal with membership that is not limited by occupation or religious affiliation. Our members are connected by common bonds that value financial security, quality family life and community impact. Our vision is to help members create a better tomorrow for themselves, their families and their communities.
Positive corporate impact includes monetary and hands-on resources dedicated to support fraternal programs and activities to improve quality of life for members and those in their communities across the nation. Members and field representatives throughout America, and employees from our headquarters, participate in Modern Woodmen chapters’ social, educational and volunteer activities, making a positive social impact where their families live, work and play. For example:
- Members contribute over half a million volunteer hours in a typical year.
- Volunteer efforts and monetary donations help organizations and individuals in need, from local parks and volunteer fire departments to food pantries and schools, meeting community needs our members identify.
- We help children and adults prepare for their financial futures through free personal finance education for schools, home schools, civic groups and community service organizations.
In addition to nationwide fraternal impact in members’ communities, Modern Woodmen is committed to community-support efforts in and around our headquarters in the Quad Cities along the Illinois/Iowa border. For example:
- Through the Charity Pledge Plan, employees provide donations to area charitable organizations via payroll deduction. Modern Woodmen matches these donations to double the positive impact in the community.
- Our Adopt A School partnership provides employee volunteers, resources and donations for students in an underserved neighborhood.
- Modern Woodmen provides monetary assistance for local community organizations’ projects through a community granting program, and we support various capital campaigns.
- We foster and recognize individual employees’ personal volunteer efforts through the causes, churches and community groups in their lives.
- We sponsor key community festivals and entities, including annual Bald Eagle Days and Festival of Trees events, as well as minor league baseball at Modern Woodmen Park.
We consider it essential to operate, at every level, in a way that is consistent with our Code of Conduct, By-Laws and sound governance principles. In accordance with best practices for corporate governance, Modern Woodmen has a Nominating and Governance Committee of the board of directors.
Modern Woodmen board members, field representatives, employees and fraternal leaders are committed to acting ethically and in the best interest of our members.