Modern Woodmen of America reports strong results for year-end 2022, including growth in net income, increased life insurance coverage in force for members, and strides in fraternal program participation and community impact.
Celebrating 140 years in business on Jan. 5, 2023, the fraternal financial services organization remains committed to helping its members protect their futures.
“The facts and figures from the year reflect the efforts of our members, field representatives, fraternal leaders and employees,” said President and CEO Jerry Lyphout. “We work together to help protect financial futures. And we come together to direct fraternal funds and programs that improve members’ lives and the communities they call home.”
- Life insurance in force grew to $43.58 billion. Continued life insurance growth shows the value of protection in challenging times.
- Total surplus increased to $2.42 billion, and premium income grew to $1.1 billion. Modern Woodmen’s solvency ratio continues to exceed the industry average, supporting the organization’s commitment to members.
- Modern Woodmen provided $17.8 million in fraternal support for members and their communities in 2022. These expenditures funded Modern Woodmen programs such as college scholarships, matching funds for member-chosen causes in their communities, and a national campaign supporting mental health.
Total life insurance in force grows to better protect members
Life insurance in force, the total amount of life insurance owned by members to protect their families financially after a death, increased to $43.58 billion in 2022. Payments and benefits to members totaled $1.29 billion for the year. This includes death benefits, annuity payments and surrender benefits.
Strong asset base backs up promises to members
Modern Woodmen’s year-end assets, which are invested primarily in high-quality, low-risk corporate and government bonds, totaled $17.14 billion at year-end. The total life insurance and annuity premium income received by Modern Woodmen rose to $1.1 billion.
Total surplus continued to grow, reaching $2.42 billion at the end of the year. These funds ensure Modern Woodmen’s ability to meet unforeseen events and provide funds for future growth opportunities.
Modern Woodmen’s solvency ratio increased to 116.41%. Put another way, for every $1 of liabilities, Modern Woodmen has $1.16 in assets that back up Modern Woodmen’s promises to members.
Fraternal programs support members and communities nationwide
More than 700,000 people throughout the United States are Modern Wooden members. In 2022, the organization contributed $17.8 million to support member- and community-oriented programs across the nation. Examples from 2022:
- Member chapters and youth service clubs nationwide held service, educational and fundraising activities to raise awareness of mental health in their communities.
- Modern Woodmen National Convention attendees broke the Guinness World Record for longest chain of carabiners (hiking clips) by linking clips together in a 3,188-foot continuous chain at the event in Aurora, Colo. The fundraising activity raised $22,535 to support NAMI Colorado, the state organization for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
- Make An Impact Scholarships®, which provide funds for 198 young members each year, awarded $450,000 to students.
- Nearly 280,000 volunteer hours were recorded by members and their guests who took part in Modern Woodmen service projects.
- Members supported nearly 3,300 fundraisers through Modern Woodmen’s Matching Fund Program, contributing millions of dollars to community groups across the country. Modern Woodmen’s matching contributions totaled $5.2 million.
- Two new member programs were launched.
- Modern Woodmen Travels – Members can attend special trips to exciting destinations, hosted and planned by Modern Woodmen and emphasizing a unique community-impact experience tied to the local culture.
- Subscription box with a twist – Members can now sign up to receive a surprise box, delivered twice a year and containing items and ideas that encourage them to engage with others, discover something new and/or help their communities – the hallmarks of Modern Woodmen fraternalism.
About Modern Woodmen
Modern Woodmen was founded in 1883 as a fraternal benefit society. The organization supports members, families and communities with a unique blend of financial services, fraternal programs and local-impact opportunities.
Your financial representative
Meet a Modern Woodmen representative in your community and begin to explore how shared values can work for you.
Find a rep near you
Need help finding a representative?
If you’re unable to find a Modern Woodmen representative in your community, we’d like to help.Contact the home office